Followers

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kevin

This morning I found out that one of my old high school friends, Kevin McWain, took his own life.  Kevin, I didn't know you very well in middle school, high school, or at the theater. Even so, the memories I have of you I will treasure. I remember the first day of 7th grade gym class when we were running laps around the field. You hurt your leg and had to fall behind, so I fell back and ran with you to the end. We didn't talk to each other through this trek or after it, but that's my fault. I've never really been well off socially. I remember at the theater we had some great times. I would put a mop handle through the back of those red vests they made us wear and pretend I was stuck and you would get a good laugh out of that. Sometimes, to my surprise, you would hide behind those giant black curtains and wait for me to do my rounds. When I would get close, you would jump out, yelling at the top of your lungs. Needless to say, I was petrified, but it was all in good fun. I'm sorry we couldn't keep in touch, but life sometimes takes us in different directions. I wish I had gotten to know you better. You were a good guy Kevin and I'll never forget you.

4 comments: